VF-0 Block in

Ruak

I was home sick today. for some really odd reason I got the urge to model the VF-0, I got pretty far with the block in so I thought I would post again. I put it up on youtube because my blog really doesnt support video.

maybe I will finish it, maybe not, I under promise over deliver now days, heh.

I was home sick today. for some really odd reason I got the urge to model the VF-0, I got pretty far with the block in so I thought I would post again. I put it up on youtube because my blog really doesnt support video.

maybe I will finish it, maybe not, I under promise over deliver now days, heh.

good work!

Being a Holiday, I did some work to texture the VF-0, here is the progress. (removed gear cockpit and anything not textured In Maya, I have a slow computer at home sadly).

I also am aware of some details missing, I was using the 1/60th toy as reff and its not cutting it so I downloaded some model pictures from WM Chen and will be useing his model for some reffrence too.

Thanks for the comments.

post-1512-1211836414_thumb.jpg

Being a Holiday, I did some work to texture the VF-0, here is the progress. (removed gear cockpit and anything not textured In Maya, I have a slow computer at home sadly).

I also am aware of some details missing, I was using the 1/60th toy as reff and its not cutting it so I downloaded some model pictures from WM Chen and will be useing his model for some reffrence too.

Thanks for the comments.

It seems like you added a couple of shaders for materials too, not only textures

Wish this guy would start doing some more Macross stuff too!

Hey Brian, I better see you at MWCon... it's in Long Beach now!

haha, not only that... it's right down the street from me.

I wish I could do more EXO, I have no time to even fire up a 3D program these days. Almost done with my second quarter of school, it eats up all my time.

It seems like you added a couple of shaders for materials too, not only textures

Its one Phong shader, I have been painting the spec and bump maps at the same time. Originally it was going to have a normal map, but I didnt feel like building a full high res Valk. when I finish/if I finish I will go back and make the parts that would benifit from a normal map. If I end up putting it into UE3 I might make some custom shaders for it.

I will drop the textures (3 of them, a diffuse, specular, bump) into one map to show what I mean.

Nice modeling , Ruak , what software are u using ?

I am using Maya at the moment.

Today at lunch I realized that I have not tried to transform this thing once so I put a rig in it, this was just a test to see if it worked. One of the riggers at work thought it was cool and he’s going to do me a new Rig, he’s pretty sure he can build in two sliders the same as you would for facial animations. Those sliders move the fighter from its different modes. This way an animator only has to do small tweaks to individual animations while letting the set driven keys take care of most of the animation. I will post more on the rig in a few days.

Some things that I think are actually pretty cool in this Rig, The seat rotates back when you transform it, the intake baffles swing down then open up the same as they did on the VF 0S at the end of the first episode of Macross Zero, the fans will actually continuously spin, animation controls for the flaps if you animate the fighter and a full IK skeleton for the Battroid Soldier. This way you can drag a slider to move the controller for the gun to either the hand or the in flight position on the arm. Pretty excited about it actually, I will work on it and post some more videos when I get home.

I included an Image because the playblast up on youtube is pretty low res, the seat is just going back and the baffles just came down and are about to open, Also in wireframe for anyone interested.

post-1512-1212109019_thumb.jpg

Looking great so far!

The fact that the seat rotates when you transform is awesome. If only we had a 3D transformation where you were inside the cockpit... I've never seen it in any game, anyone knows if it has been done?

Ah, almost forgot, Ruak, what's the poly count so far? Just curious ^_^