Macross F's Homage To Past Shows/Waitin' For New Episodes

part 1

is every episode goin' to be homage to sdf macross???

one or two things are cool, but i feel like it is gettin' out of hand.

ep. 1 deculture and broadcast.

alto fightin' in a valkyrie.

that was cool. i was like, now this is macross. this is how plus and 7 should have "felt" like.

ep. 2

the arm of alto's valkyrie gets shot off and alto has to rescue ranka from flyin' into space.

at least it was different, ranka is fallin' UP and not DOWN. and she's "fallin'" into space, not down to the ground.

oOo, i see who the love triangle is goin' to involve.

ep. 3

trapped inside the frontier. i hated this episode of sdf macross with hikaru and minmay. i'd watch it once (3 times actually if i count watchin' robotech in the 80's and again in the 90's) so that i would know what happened in it... and now i always skip over this episode whenever i re-watch sdf macross. but, i can say that this episode of frontier is not as borin' as the original (but i can say that this is one episode that i would show my gf and tell her "see, sdf macross has a love triangle and stuff for you to pay attention too, it's just not alot of fightin' scenes for us guys.)

ep. 4

i'm only watchin' shinsen subs so i haven't seen it yet. but i know that it will be the miss macross contest again.

ep. 5

no comment 'cause i haven't seen episode 4 yet.

shinsen subs released ep. 2 on 4-28 and ep. 3 on 4-30. maybe i'll get lucky and they'll release ep. 4 on 5-2 (tomorrow).

one last thing. has anybody seen any homages for macross zero or macross ii (maybe even dyrl, flashback 2012, dynamite 7 and the galaxy is calling me)??? i've recognized the homages for plus, sdf and 7 already (those are actually cool).

so, the homages are not too much to ruin the series, but i don't want to see a homage from sdf macross in all 13 episodes of frontier (even tho' frontier stands on its own even with all these homages).

my prediction, a human (or half human, half zentraedi) and vajra fall in love, get married and call a truce to the war. lol, jkjp.

part 2

ARG, these weekly episodes are too short. they keep leavin' me disappointed at the end 'cause not alot happens and i have to wait for the next episode to find out what happens next. why can't they just release all 13 episodes so that i can watch them back to back.

when i watched naruto i had 230-240 episodes to watch (too bad i didn't know that 100 of them were filler).

when i watched bleach i had 120+ episodes to watch (too bad i didn't know that they had filler too).

when i watched death note i had 24-26 episodes to watch

(i didn't like the parts when light lost his kira powers, i wanted light to kill, kill, kill... but i started out hopin' that light would get caught at first, lol, how things change).

when i watched heroes, my friend had the dvd set for the first season so i watched the entire first season in less than a day (thank goodness for weekends). then, when i watched season 2, dl'ed all 11 episodes and watched them over the course of two days so that i would be ready for season 3 (then i was disappointed when i found out that season 3 doesn't start until sept./oct. '08).

when i re-watched sdf macross (the subtitled version this time) i had 36 episodes to watch... then i watched dyrl... then i had 4 episodes of plus to watch ... then i had 5 episodes of zero to watch... then i had 50+ episodes of 7 to watch despite the warnings not to watch 7 (i watched it all)... then i watched encore, the galaxy is calling me and dynamite 7 (i had seen macross ii dubbed years earlier)...

so, i'm used to watchin' 10-40 episodes (yes, i love havin' anime marathons) back to back so i'm not used to this "20 minutes and wait for next week's episode" style of "watchin' anime". whenever i am current with naruto and bleach, they bore me 'cause the episodes are too short (the series has a totally different feel to it when it seems like one episode is 2-4 hours long. especially naruto 'cause they like to drag things out but you don't notice how slow things are movin' when you are watchin' 5 or more episodes).

so i can't really say if i like macross frontier yet or not. i can only complain that i have to wait for the next episode 'cause this current episode really didn't give me that "wow factor" (except for the deculture and broadcast version of episode 1 and the cliffhanger in episode 2). i'll have to have a 13 episode marathon one weekend once the series is complete (then i'll be beggin' them to have a 2nd season and complainin' on why the series only went 13 episodes and not 26).

/end of rant...

Edited by DJ Loe Kee

First off, we don't *know* that it's only going to be 13 episodes. If there will be nine DVDs, it'll probably be 26...and, if it's popular and remains good, I hope they'll add a second season.

Second, there's a big Mac Zero reference in Sheryl's last name (although whether it means anything remains to be seen).

Mac II references seem unlikely, although some have pointed out that the armored VF-25 looks something like a VF-2.

I don't think they've gone overboard with the homages, because the repeated plot points seem more like springboards for different choices and outcomes on the part of characters. It's definitely not a point-for-point remake, that's for sure.

And if you can't hack waiting week by week, do what I did...when the waiting became unbearable for me around the end of February, I sat down and watched ALL of Macross, a few episodes (or a movie) a day. It took six weeks, and by the end of it, PRESTO! It was the beginning of April, and MF was about to start.

(Also, "Lynn Minmay" is one of my favorite episodes of SDF...how can you hate an episode that shows Minmay's butt AND has a giant tuna? Now, "Global Report"...that's an episode I could've done without.)

^yea, i don't think that they went overboard yet, but i wasn't expectin' a homage to sdf macross in the first 4 episodes. it makes me think that they will have more stuff like the video game fight between max and milia (pick any two frontier ppl for this scene) or the scene where misa doesn't want to leave the mars base. it's probably something that they added to bring in the original fans of sdf macross who didn't like some of the sequels.

lol, i forgot about the butt scene. i just remember how slow the rest of the episode went and how said, i'm not watchin' this episode again.

yea, the global report is FILLER. that's another episode that i'd skip too if it wasn't for the new scenes of global writin' his report. the last time that naruto and bleach were goin' to slow for me i quit watchin' them for 2-4 months and then all the sudden i had 20 episodes to watch back to back. but macross frontier and death note has one thing in common, no matter how slow they move i can never stop myself from watchin' the latest episode to find out what happened.

So you can't find something to do during the other 6 days of the week? The weekly format has been like this for....well,... years, even before my time. Even shows in the USA air on a weekly basis. Perhaps you should fill in your time with some other shows or go do something else, cuz it's not going to change. Naruto and Bleach have been on for quite some time. And those shows run week by week so all you're doing is playing catch-up. You want to do a marathon? Watch Sazae-san. All 1800+ episodes of it. That should keep you busy till MF ends, then you can watch that in a marathon.

^i rarely watch tv.

yea, i have 55 dvds of anime and i haven't even watched half of the shows yet. i just haven't had time to sit down and really get into them yet (i keep comparin' them sdf macross and never finishin' the series, lol).

yea, i'm always playin' catch up. i quit watchin' d.gray-man around ep. 30 something 'cause i thought it was only 52 episodes long and i was going to wait for the series to end. then i found out that it is an ongoin' manga series and it won't be endin' any time soon.

and i'm more use to rentin' anime movies like akira, ghost in the shell, ninja scroll, vampire hunter d. these anime series are really new to me and i usually just watch the ones that have ended already (i once said that i would only watch anime movies and stay away from the series 'cause they go on forever). but i friend showed me naruto ep. 24-28 once and i have a habit of tryin' to finish a series once i start watchin' it. i got into bleach by accident 'cause i heard that it was better than naruto.

sasae-san, lol. looks like i will need to take a couple months off for paid vacation from work so that i can see how many episodes i can watch in a week.

Edited by DJ Loe Kee

how can you hate an episode that shows Minmay's butt AND has a giant tuna?

This is as good a place as any to ask: WHAT IS UP WITH THAT TUNA?!

I mean - I always wondered - why was it so big? Tuna isn't normally big is it?

Did the space fold have some effect on it? Did the vacume of space blow it up disproportionatly?

Someone please explain.

VFTF1

This is as good a place as any to ask: WHAT IS UP WITH THAT TUNA?!

I mean - I always wondered - why was it so big? Tuna isn't normally big is it?

Did the space fold have some effect on it? Did the vacume of space blow it up disproportionatly?

Someone please explain.

VFTF1

Tuna_maguro_Yukinobu_Shibata.JPG

The small tuna you're thinking of is the Albacore tuna, mostly found in the Mediterranian. In the Asian regions, they catch the Pacific Bluefin tuna, and as you can see, it is quite large. The Japanese word for Tuna is Maguro, which sounds like the Japanese pronunciation of Macro, thus a Tuna shows up in every production of Macross.

Thanking you so much!

That is awesome!

I wonder if the Japanese joint I eat at serves Maguro - or whether they cheat and give me regular Mediteranian tuna?

Next time, I will inquire!

VFTF1

when i re-watched sdf macross (the subtitled version this time) i had 36 episodes to watch... then i watched dyrl... then i had 4 episodes of plus to watch ... then i had 5 episodes of zero to watch... then i had 50+ episodes of 7 to watch despite the warnings not to watch 7 (i watched it all)... then i watched encore, the galaxy is calling me and dynamite 7 (i had seen macross ii dubbed years earlier)...

This is a question I've never really asked. What order should the entire Macross series be watched in. I was introduced to Macross through...ahem...Robotech, and I now have all the Macross stuff on DVD. Is this the correct chronological order?

1. - Macross Zero

2. - Macross

3. - DYRL

4. - Macross II

5. - Macross Plus

6. - Macross 7

7. - The Galazy is Killing Me

8. - Macross 7 Encore

9. - Dynamite 7

10. - Macross Frontier

Do all of them intertwine into one cohesive story, or should I watch II, Plus, and 7 separately? I'm kinda confused.

First off...it's the Galaxy is CALLING Me, not KILLING Me (although many here would argue that yours is the more appropriate title).

I just through a six-week Macross marathon, and I watched them in production order, which I think "works" better than chronological. Strictly chronological would mean that you would have to watch the first three minutes or so of the first epeisode of Macross, swtich over to Zero, and then back....which is no good.

So here's how I did it:

1. Macross (TV)

2. Do You Remember Love?

3. Flashback 2012

4. Macross II (You can leave this one out if you want, since it's been retconned out of existence)

5. Macross Plus (OVA)

6. Macross 7 (TV)

7. Macross 7/Macross Plus Movies

8. Macross 7 Encore

9. Macross Dynamite 7

10. Macross Zero

11. Macross Frontier

This is a question I've never really asked. What order should the entire Macross series be watched in. I was introduced to Macross through...ahem...Robotech, and I now have all the Macross stuff on DVD. Is this the correct chronological order?

1. - Macross Zero

2. - Macross

3. - DYRL

4. - Macross II

5. - Macross Plus

6. - Macross 7

8. - Macross 7 Encore

9. - Dynamite 7

10. - Macross Frontier

Do all of them intertwine into one cohesive story, or should I watch II, Plus, and 7 separately? I'm kinda confused.

You can watch each series with little or no knowledge of the others. M7 has a historical recap just like MF. M0 has one as well. M+ does it's own thing so there's no real need for a recap. MII is in it's own world. Both M+ and MII mention it but it doesn't really affect the stories too much. Macross/DYRL is the backbone so watching that will fill out where most of the rest come from.

which sounds like the Japanese pronunciation of Macro, thus a Tuna shows up in every production of Macross.

Really? I thought it only showed up in SDFM and now Macross Frontier? Where else are the other occurances?

First off...it's the Galaxy is CALLING Me, not KILLING Me (although many here would argue that yours is the more appropriate title).

I just through a six-week Macross marathon, and I watched them in production order, which I think "works" better than chronological. Strictly chronological would mean that you would have to watch the first three minutes or so of the first epeisode of Macross, swtich over to Zero, and then back....which is no good.

So here's how I did it:

1. Macross (TV)

2. Do You Remember Love?

3. Flashback 2012

4. Macross II (You can leave this one out if you want, since it's been retconned out of existence)

5. Macross Plus (OVA)

6. Macross 7 (TV)

8. Macross 7 Encore

9. Macross Dynamite 7

10. Macross Zero

11. Macross Frontier

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. The DVD player's going to get quite a workout very soon here. :D

Thanking you so much!

That is awesome!

I wonder if the Japanese joint I eat at serves Maguro - or whether they cheat and give me regular Mediteranian tuna?

Next time, I will inquire!

VFTF1

Albacore tuna is used to make white flake tuna. The stuff you get out of tin cans.

Really? I thought it only showed up in SDFM and now Macross Frontier? Where else are the other occurances?

well, in Mac+, when Myung was eating with her friend (was it Kate?), before Morgan came and before they went for karaoke, there was a fish head on the table, with fish eggs inside its mouth. so if that was a tuna, you actually had a Maguro. PLUS eggs. hehe. get it? Maguro Plus...hahahaha....... oh ok, i'll shut up now. :p

As for Mac0, i won't be surprised if there was a tuna there somewhere, they were in an island after all. i'll just watch it again to be sure.

DYRL definitely has a tuna (and it's really out of place, so you have to wonder....).

No idea about mac7.

Mac II doesn't matter.

Edited by dreamweaver13

So here's how I did it:

1. Macross (TV)

2. Do You Remember Love?

3. Flashback 2012

5. Macross Plus (OVA)

6. Macross 7 (TV)

8. Macross 7 Encore

9. Macross Dynamite 7

10. Macross Zero

11. Macross Frontier

i agree with this one. perfect order to watch the whole thing, and basically i watched it the same way. :)

the only thing is, i would highly recommend (not merely sugest) leaving out MacrossII. It kinda destroys the feel of watching macross dogma. even if you know at the back of your mind that it's not a part of the continuity, it just doesn't do well to remember stuff from MacII that never actually happened. If you still want to watch it, i would suggest watching it at the end of your marathon (after a break). This way, it would be like watching a "What if" story.

some might suggest watching mac0 before Macross TV, just because it's chronologically correct. i tried it once. but i just kept thinking how awesome the animation and the performance of the VF-0 is compared to the VF-1, so it has a tendency of ruining the action sequences. so gubaba's right in following the production order. :)

• 2 weeks later...

the homages in ep. 4 were tite (just like the homages in ep. 1 were tight), especially the training/battle scenes, the queadluuns, the dead zentraedi and the zentraedi battle ship. even the miss macross contest was tite, ranka all flat chested compared to everybody else. now on to ep. 5 which i heard has no homages.

the homages in ep. 4 were tite (just like the homages in ep. 1 were tight), especially the training/battle scenes, the queadluuns, the dead zentraedi and the zentraedi battle ship. even the miss macross contest was tite, ranka all flat chested compared to everybody else. now on to ep. 5 which i heard has no homages.

They lie. It's got one of the best homages of all (it's subtle, though...).

It's set for 25 episodes atm... first dvd volume is 1 episode and the other 8 are 3 episodes each... 8x3 = 24 + 1 = 25!

Sheryl did the 1, 2, 3, 4 Minmei foot tap from the end of DYRL before the OP in episode 6... as for Zero homages... expect some soon...

1. - Macross Zero

2. - Macross

3. - DYRL

4. - Macross II

5. - Macross Plus

6. - Macross 7

8. - Macross 7 Encore

9. - Dynamite 7

10. - Macross Frontier

No offense man, but I really ROFL-ed at that one. :lol:

Anyways speaking of homages in the deculture edition did'nt anybody find it nostalgic when the VF-171 were aligning (complete with vernier thrusters activating) to fire a volley of missiles at the incoming Vajra. It reminded me a lot of the first battle sequence at the start of DYRL. :unsure:

are you referring to hikaru taking minmei around macross city in DYRL? or something more specific?

Yes and no...in case you don't feel like wading through 20+ pages of the episode 5 thread, I'll repeat it here:

When the scene cuts to the school, Sherl says, "Atashi to isho ja, iya?" ("You don't want to be {be seen/go on a date/whatever} with me?" And she says it with almost EXACTLY the same tone that Minmay says it in DYRL, when Hikaru comes to take her out on the town. (the scene is easier to find in Flashback 2012, right before "Shao Pai Long" starts). The way Sheryl's actress reads the line is so close that it MUST be deliberate.

Yes and no...in case you don't feel like wading through 20+ pages of the episode 5 thread, I'll repeat it here:

When the scene cuts to the school, Sherl says, "Atashi to isho ja, iya?" ("You don't want to be {be seen/go on a date/whatever} with me?" And she says it with almost EXACTLY the same tone that Minmay says it in DYRL, when Hikaru comes to take her out on the town. (the scene is easier to find in Flashback 2012, right before "Shao Pai Long" starts). The way Sheryl's actress reads the line is so close that it MUST be deliberate.

those are the homages that i like most. those little hidden "easter eggs" that you can still miss even when you have watched the original show 20 times.

I remember that scene. yeah, that's a great easter egg alright. a very specific (yet subtle) homage within a general (and still very subtle) homage of having a date with a celebrity (including all that running away from fans).

thanks. :)