Macross Frontier and Fansubs

Duke Togo

If your computer can't meet the H.264 requirements listed here (Mac on the left and Windows on the right), you're going to have trouble and rectifying the issue will be difficult without upgrading your hardware - especially the CPU: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/recommendations.html. (Note that the CPU/processor is really the most important requirement.)

hall9000, does the software open on it's own (without opening a media file to play)? If it doesn't, I'd suggest contacting the developer.

Edited by veffidas

And I've been having real problems playing the GG MKVs on my unit - it slows up and chokes during the action scenes, etc. Even on VLC or MP Classic, and I'm playing it on a 2G RAM Acer laptop with an ATI X1600 card. I'm not a big fan of converting stuff just so I can watch it - is there anything I can do t make the MKVs play more smoothly?

Mark

Things to try:

1) In MPC, set output option to use "overlay". It's the oldest output method and you can't use screen capture but it has the lowest CPU overhead.

2) Get CoreAVC - a very fast software codec: http://www.coreavc.com/

3) Update ffdshow to latest. See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=120465

4) Those with newest vidoe card can try MPC-HC, which can offload decoding works to CPU. http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

My 3.6Ghz E8400 + 8800GT would cokes on a 1080p MKV file with karaoke subs, until I install an older version CoreAVC. I haven't try step 3 or 4 yet.

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out here:

I've tinkered with my desktop PC/media server over the weekend and now I'm able to watch gg fansub's Macross Frontier .mkv files on my PS3 via streaming from TVersity...but the subtitles aren't showing up :lol: Anyone know what I can do to remedy this? All I've done so far was pretty much do a basic TVserity install on my PC, select my media files to be made available, and set the transcode resolution setting to 720p on my PC. I have the K-Lite standard codec pack installed on my PC.

Thanks for any help! =)

If anything, I'm finding TVersity to be much better than Windows Media Player...simpler interface, not as bloated, easier to connect, and being able to try and transcode some videos to make them work for your different media players is pretty nice (better than nothing! =)

For those who have issues with mkv. Just don't use any stupid players. I'd highly recommend MPC or zoomplayer. In fact, those who have slow pcs like I have should use coreavc with zoomplayer. It works wonders on my 6 year old machine.

ps: Using MPC/Zoomplayer with proper codecs should solve the "subs not displaying" issue.

Edited by Suzuran

For those who have issues with mkv. Just don't use any stupid players. I'd highly recommend MPC or zoomplayer. In fact, those who have slow pcs like I have should use coreavc with zoomplayer. It works wonders on my 6 year old machine.

ps: Using MPC/Zoomplayer with proper codecs should solve the "subs not displaying" issue.

ill try that..

i ve used kmp player since macrossf day 1

so i was thinking that it wont screw up since gg "unofficially" recommended it

Was I the only one for whom the .mkv of the episode 24 gg release was partially corrupted in the second half? If others had the same problem, I hope the guys at gg do another release with a better file ( which hopefully doesn´t include those annoying Kanji which CBC put into this episode. ^^ ).

Edited by magnuskn

Was I the only one for whom the .mkv of the episode 24 gg release was partially corrupted in the second half? If others had the same problem, I hope the guys at gg do another release with a better file ( which hopefully doesn´t include those annoying Kanji which CBC put into this episode. ^^ ).

No we can't remove the Japanese hard coded by the station.

To fix that "corruptness" in episode 24 use coreavc and disable ffdshow's h264 renderer.

No we can't remove the Japanese hard coded by the station.

To fix that "corruptness" in episode 24 use coreavc and disable ffdshow's h264 renderer.

I´ll have to look into what is coreavc, then. ^^

And you couldn´t use, say, Zero Raws, instead of the CBC broadcast? They don´t have the Japanese writing in them. Not criticising, just asking. :)

I´ll have to look into what is coreavc, then. ^^

And you couldn´t use, say, Zero Raws, instead of the CBC broadcast? They don´t have the Japanese writing in them. Not criticising, just asking. :)

No we use the transport stream we capture straight from the Japanese broadcast. But you can go ahead and get the zero-raws and play the subtitles with softsubs.

No we use the transport stream we capture straight from the Japanese broadcast. But you can go ahead and get the zero-raws and play the subtitles with softsubs.

I´ll probably do so for this episode, if only because CBC really put massive amounts of Japanese writing into this particular episode. The re-timing will be a bitch, however. ^^

The MKV has issues for me too. I downloaded that new version of FFDshow and it didn't change a thing. Is there some new setting to try?

Regardless, the CBC broadcast simply sucks due to the INSANE amounts of captioning that put ALL OVER every single scene it seems. I'm not even going to finish watching the ep, going to find another way. (raw+ass I think)

That CCCP beta worked fine for me, . But the inherent "let's put an entire doctoral thesis on screen" of CBC still annoys me. Bad enough when stations put a scroll of words at the bottom.

As for subtitle re-timing using raw+ass with latest FFdshow---there seem to be multiple options for delay in multiple menus/locations, which one "works"? (first two I tried had no effect, even trying 25000ms just to see if it'd do something)

I wondered about that beep---didn't seem to be "from the show". Ok, now it makes sense--I thought CBC was "advertising" as opposed to "warning".

Normally, show-related items don't appear as the captioning did in the CBC broadcast. Usually when those kinds of captioning messages show up, a natural-disaster type warning is occurring. Typhoons, earthquakes, landslides, etc. Just hope that the picture doesn't go out when you see those warnings.

exactly 4 days from now, MF ep25 will be airing. i am wondering how many of us will use that time to contemplate how to approach the end of the line. (those who are well-versed in japanese need not apply)

will you:

1. watch the broadcast/ live stream even if you don't know a lick of japanese, even if the resolution might be horrible or that it'll turn into a slideshow as more people get on the stream, just so you can immediately see (albeit, probably in pixelated fashion) who will buy the farm or who alto (assuming he lives) will kiss at the end?

2. keep pressing F5 until the first HD raws show up, then rewatch until you can form a vague opinion of what is actually happening in dialogue heavy scenes which sound greek to you, or perhaps console yourself by running the entire episode frame by frame to catch the next occurence of the machida punch or a beercan missile?

3. put yourself into a coma to avoid the agony of waiting for the first subs? how you get yourself into a coma is up to you, but you know that any broken bones or any lingering hemorraghic or chemical overdose damage will be worth it so you can experience and understand the final episode as close as possible to its intended delivery.

as ozma said: we need to choose our own path.

i have one request to the fansubbers: make it quick. please.

I'll do as I do every week since episode 3 or 4 - impatiently wait for the first subs to show up. Of course that means I miss most of the discussions but eck :/

Honestly watching it wihtout any understanding of Japanese would be spoiling it to me - I prefere to discover both picture and dialogue at the same time :lol:

-Sergorn