1/60 YF-19 Gerwalk Locking Chest Mod

Lonely Soldier Boy

Hi all. This is the first mod I'm really proud of.

As you all know the Yamato Yf-19 can't lock the chest section in Gerwalk nor Battroid modes. For some reason this was specially annoying for me in Gerwalk mode, so while thinking on possible ways to fix this I stumbled with the most obvious solution: I just carved two small slots under the slots that the toy uses to lock the wings in Fighter mode. The slots need to be angled so the chest is in inclined in an anime accurate position when locked in place.

Pics:

Here you can see the slot I've made on each side of the chest section. I've removed the arms to ease the whole process. The whole arm is held by a single screw, so it's a very easy thing to do.

post-1636-1194843407_thumb.jpg

post-1636-1194843777_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

Sorry for the crooked pictures.

Fortunately the section you have to carve is splitted in two parts, the main chest assembly and a little plastic piece under the chest that covers the screw that holds the whole chest section together. This makes the whole process easier.

To remove the small piece from the main chest assembly, you don't have to unscrew anything, just find the seam with an exacto knife and gently slide the piece down.

post-1636-1194844464_thumb.jpg

Hey! Replies already! Thanks for the kudos, boys.

Here's more pics. As you can see. the mod doesn't restrain the movement of the arms at all and you can hold the Valk from the chest. It stays very firmly, so you can whoosh the Gerwalk around safely.

If you're going to do this mod, just be careful to carve the slots little by little, so they don't end up being too big for the tabs. In any case, the wing roots locking mechanism does most of the job, so you should be fine.

post-1636-1194844914_thumb.jpg

post-1636-1194844963_thumb.jpg

post-1636-1194845054_thumb.jpg

A quick update before anyone tries this: I've just realized that the swiveling shoulder piece does touch the wing root a bit since the chest mount sits now a bit lower. You can easily fix this sanding down the "armpit" just a little bit. Also do the slots as low as possible.

As I said before, I'm even happier with my 19 now than when I forst got it. Such a great toy. Now I'll try to find an simple way to lock the chest on Battroid too :)

You know, that's actually identical to how the ORIGINAL YF-19 toy did it. Still surprised Yamato "forgot" how they did it on the old 1/72 one...

It did? I had a 1/72 19A and honestly i didn't put it into Gerwalk mode much (if ever) but i don't really remember if it did or not, i didn't think it had a locking mechanism in gerwalk.

It did? I had a 1/72 19A and honestly i didn't put it into Gerwalk mode much (if ever) but i don't really remember if it did or not, i didn't think it had a locking mechanism in gerwalk.

The wings won't even attach in GERWALK mode without locking the torso. There's an upper pair, and a lower pair of slots in the sides of the chest. The wings peg into the upper pair in fighter mode, and the lower pair in GERWALK. The chest didn't lock in battroid, but it was diecast/heavy so it wasn't quite so floppy.

The wings won't even attach in GERWALK mode without locking the torso. There's an upper pair, and a lower pair of slots in the sides of the chest. The wings peg into the upper pair in fighter mode, and the lower pair in GERWALK. The chest didn't lock in battroid, but it was diecast/heavy so it wasn't quite so floppy.

I remember that. So I guess I'm not a genius after all :'( Oh, well, I guess great minds think alike :p I only wish the 1/72 had a Battroid chest locking mechanism were we could draw inspiration from to fix the 1/60.

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

I only wish the 1/72 had a Battroid chest locking mechanism were we could draw inspiration from to fix the 1/60.

I have an idea for a battroid chest locking mechanism. The tab in this pic could be modified into a hook to fit into the diamond-shaped hole.

pa16000501aw8.jpg

However, there will still be some movement in the battroid chest area, as is evident in this pic, but the chest section would definitely not completely flop down when the battroid is upside down.

pa160035bu2.jpg

Edited by Wicked Ace

• 3 weeks later...

i tried to tackle the chest lock feature for battroid but there just isn't enough plastic or room to work with.

i ended up putting funtac/bluetac(the stuff you use to hang posters) on it and it holds just fine.

it doesn't hurt nor damage the toy, its barely visible, and you can take it on/off without a hassle.

its not much of a solution but its the only one i could come up with, for now anyway.