IHP VF-11C Recast finished

Jarrod

Thanks again to Valk009 for providing these great recasts!

Anyway, this kit was far less of a pleasure to build than the SHE VF-4. Parts fit was not that great, the engineering is simple (and seems half-assed) poseabilty was/is horrid, the sculpt clearly uses parts from the 1/144 Bandai kit, the instructions are nearly useless, especially for the tranformation, and finally the included recast polycaps were pretty useless(not that I expected resin recast PCs to be any use to begin with...)

First thing I did was replace all the resin joints with some Kotobukiya polys I had laying around. This included adding hinge joints to the elbows and knees as opposed to the ball joints the instructions recommended. Then I added some actually hip joints. The kit orginally had the upper hips/intakes fixed to the waist/fuselage by a thin, fragile sheet of 2mm thick resin...which promptly broke.

Then I had to remove a good deal of the rear of the head and shoulders so that everthing would fit properly in fighter mode...it seemed like IHP never actually checked to see if the head would fit in fighter mode!

After that, I changed the position of the shield to attach to the top/inside of the arms in fighter mode instead of the bottom/outside as the kit seemed to suggest. I also added some extra pegs and holes so that the Fast Packs were interchangeable.

Finally I mildly reshaped a number of parts for a better fit and added a clip for the heatshield so that it would attach in Battroid mode.

And after all that, I am quite happy with it. Battroid mode looks fantastic, far better than any other VF-11 I own. Fighter mode is prety good too; the nose sculpt looks pretty close to perfect to me. Unfortunately the rear wings do not slant outward but only stick straight up, and the feet looke way to much like folded up feet instead of engines. Gerwalk mode is only mildly possible(the legs just dont bend near far enough forward), and it appears it was not even designed to do so.

Anyway, on with the pics:

DSC00314.jpg

DSC00317.jpg

DSC00315.jpg

DSC00318.jpg

DSC00316.jpg

Hey, your build looks good, and I actually like the fighter mode the best. It really looks best with the FPs I think.

Battloid looks a little funky to me, especially the arm/shoulder joints.

Your finish looks nice and clean. Thanks for sharing the pics and keep up the good work!

Great work there, Jarrod! Sorry to hear the difficulites you encountered with the kit. Out of the three IHP kits I have the YF-19, YF-21 and the VF-11, the later two casting quality are not that much to write home about.

Nevertheless, it is good to see what you have made out of it ^_^

is your VF-19S painted or did you use those ugly foil decals it brings!?

Oh, it is most definitely painted(Bandai foil stickers, FTL)! I applied the foil stickers first and scribed the lines on, then removed the stickers and had perfect lines to mask around.

I'm just curious, would the Wave polycaps sold by HLJ work on this kit?

Possibly, however, I specifically used parts from the following sets:

http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYD-721B

http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYD-718B

http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYD-107B