Problem with Custom Title

"I will stop reporting posts to the mods."

I don't know if one of the mods is trying to be funny, but if you guys have a problem with me reporting any issues with certain threads, what's wrong with simply sending me a PM? Slapping members with degrading custom titles is completely out-ethics - unless that member has committed a violation of the Rules & Regulations. And reporting a post is not, by any means, a violation.

Now, please remove the custom title off my profile. Thanks.

I second the censor of custom titles.

The first and foremost reason being I am curious about what forum ranks those who have been branded with a custom title are.

Custom titles are bestowed for whatever reason and are not part of the forum rules. It's all run pretty fast and loose. Maybe someone is trying to say something, though I think this situation could have been handled without the press coverage.

MrMarch...O' Dimes, I say! :)

Edited by Mr March

Out-Ethics is a Scientologist term. See the definition below:

out-ethics

Not following the Scientology version of Ethics. The out- construct is common in Scientology; following in this tradition, one critic coined the term "out-netiquette" to describe the manner in which many Scientologists post to AltReligionScientology.com.

Not following the Scientology version of Ethics.

So, just to be clear, we're being chastized for not being good Scientologists?

:o

Seeing as other staff members have not responded to this issue, I'll step up to the plate.

First off, I'm not the one who changed your title. In truth, I'm not sure who did.

To be honest between all parties let's face some quick truths... both the staff and you (areaseven) know that your reporting of "nuisance issues" has been addressed in the past (I believe we had a thread just like this a while back having to do with your member title involving quoted pics. Hurin has a record of a PM somewhere involving that past incident). While we appreciate your dedication to the site and diligence in reporting these minor issues, some members of the staff feel that your reports are... how to put this... not constructive.

It is kind of the unspoken belief by the staff that the "Report Post" function of the boards is to be used as an "emergency call" of sorts, a "911" that the membership can use to report bad behavior, spam or other serious, pressing issues that demand immediate attention. Almost all the time these reported posts are handled instantly by someone on the staff and the problems they draw our attention to are dealt with swiftly. In this chord, it has long been felt by the staff that certain "issues", such as double posts, quoted pictures and other simple message board goofs, flubs or commonalities are not immediately pressing requiring our instant attention. Our thoughts are that we will eventually get to them in the course of time and they pose no immediate threat to the message board or it's community at large. Some issues like quoted pictures are even considered by some to not even be an "issue" at all. It has come to our attention several times in the past that you feel differently about these issues. We also believe we have addressed you in regard to these issues in the past as well, informing you that we do not hold these perceived problems as "problems" per se and reporting them to us under the "Report Post" function is more or less, to use a local phrase, nit-pickery.

Certain members of staff take your reports under advisement and act upon them while others see them as a misuse of the "Report Post" feature. Needless to say the growing consensus among the staff is that while your vitriol and help in tracking down the nuisance issues of the board are appreciated, it is not necessarily warranted. We have been down this road before, perhaps not this openly but all this has been discussed in the past. If I might speak openly, your member title was most likely changed by a staff member who is becoming frustrated with your constant... "help", despite past requests to cease. I myself mean no disrespect or disgrace but to be honest it is obvious to most that you have upset certain peoples at levels of the command structure of the board with your "aid" and they, in a manner of speaking, responded to this with their own "action". In an attempt to be a mediator in this issue I will promise to remove your disrespectful member title if you will promise to take it easy on the post reporting for minor issues. I know you feel strongly about these things but please understand the feelings of some of the members of staff and that your reports can and are seen as bothersome by some. I believe that is a fair compromise that will appease both sides. If you feel otherwise, let me know via PM and perhaps we can arrange something else.

Yes, I get your point, JsARCLIGHT. I'll make a good postulate about just observing the forums with my analytical mind instead of my reactive mind. That's the theta way of things.

And Hurin, ethics situations do not have to involve Scientology. And speaking of which, I thought we weren't supposed to involve religion in any discussion here.

Edited by areaseven

Yes, I get your point, JsARCLIGHT. I'll make a good postulate about just observing the forums with my analytical mind instead of my reactive mind. That's the theta way of things.

I will take that as a promise to limit your post reporting to only serious issues. As such I'll remove your member title. Just remember that I was not the one who put it there and the person who did may replace it if they feel you continue to "misuse" the report post function.

Hopefully this will conclude this issue in a civil fashion.

I will take that as a promise to limit your post reporting to only serious issues. As such I'll remove your member title. Just remember that I was not the one who put it there and the person who did may replace it if they feel you continue to "misuse" the report post function.

Hopefully this will conclude this issue in a civil fashion.

Js is the voice of reason... thank GOD.

And Hurin, ethics situations do not have to involve Scientology.

That's sorta my point. Please stop throwing around Scientology buzzwords where plain english will suffice. Because, as you so eloquently put it. . .

I thought we weren't supposed to involve religion in any discussion here.

Exactly. I know you'd probably just love to feel persecuted. But I would have the same reaction to someone who was saying things like: "Such behavior is very un-Christian" or "That's the Muslim way of things."

So, please partake in your own advice and leave Lord Xenu and the Thetans out of your MW discussions.

H

P.S. I didn't change your title either.