1/55 VF-1J "Harriska" - Jetfire to Low Viz Valkyre

Skull-1

I can't find the thread in which I posted this originally. Perhaps it never got its own thread.

Any way...

IT IS NOT FINISHED!!!!!!! Here's how it looks as of now for what it's worth. Sorry for the bad pics. Would have taken them in the sun if I had time.

Harriska and Dream Catcher

It is glossy but I will spray flat on it once I finish the decals and weathering... Also some screw holes and seams to fill in STILL. Can't seem to get the latter out of the way... But at least you get an idea.

The weathering is very subtle as it should be, IMHO. It doesn't overpower the Valk but it is a far cry from the plain and perfect gray base color.

Some notable features:

- Gray lined canopy (Beers) using spray painted decal film. Worked very well. Weathering to be added shortly.

- Swivel thighs

- Trimmed Swing Bar

- Notchless Vertical Fins

- Removable/stowable hands

- Lowered nose blisters

- Lowered arms in Gerwalk Mode

- Custom decals (most by Devin)

- Multi-position feet

- Friction pin removed from left side of fuselage

[attachmentid=40552] [attachmentid=40549] [attachmentid=40551] [attachmentid=40550]

[attachmentid=40548]

NOTE THE OVAL OF LIGHTER GRAY PAINT on the left rear dorsal plate.

This allows you to compare the weathered to the non-weathered (as seen below).

I will cover it up later.

[attachmentid=40553]

post-318-1171769714_thumb.jpg

post-318-1171769723_thumb.jpg

post-318-1171769735_thumb.jpg

post-318-1171769746_thumb.jpg

post-318-1171769755_thumb.jpg

post-318-1171770950_thumb.jpg

Edited by Skull-1

Pictures in full sun as promised.

Still the above-mentioned work to go. Will start on that as soon as I post this.

:)

[attachmentid=40692]

IPB Image

post-318-1172376211_thumb.jpg

Edited by Skull-1

looks awesome....add some panel lines and its a winner!!!

Thanks.

You should see it now. I have about four thousand decals on it with some more weathering and lining done... It is night and day from the pictures above.

Bad thing is my camera battery is dead and we can't find the charger for it. #&$(&$(*@&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soon enough any way... Thi swill be my ultimate Valk (so far). Having some problems with the pencil lead though. Not sure what is going on.

Then again, I build these things in less than full light so when I take them in the sun they don't look as good as they do in my office on the shelf. It is a major flaw in my skills... :(

• 3 weeks later...

I always realize the mistakes *AFTER* I take the pictures...

The chest plate and right thigh were not fully in place when I took these.

Also the canopy and a few touch ups will be color matched. I also have a few spots where the paint has rubbed and I will fix those (dorsal antennae and the tail fin hinge area).

The weathering is subtle and looks great in person.

Kill markings to come.

IPB Image

post-318-1174717518_thumb.jpg

post-318-1174717821_thumb.jpg

post-318-1174717840_thumb.jpg

post-318-1174717886_thumb.jpg

post-318-1174717908_thumb.jpg

post-318-1174717938_thumb.jpg

post-318-1174717959_thumb.jpg

post-318-1174717994_thumb.jpg

Edited by Skull-1

How about this

[attachmentid=41439]

By the way I really want to do a Low Vis 1/55 now.

Better. I just wish I could find a way to pluck the plane perfectly out of the picture, blur the background, then reinsert the plane.

GRRRRR.

You can do it with some Photo/ pictue editing software. It works better if you have high contrasting colours such as in your pic where the greens and dark browns of the Clover lawn are miles away from the grey and white tones of the Valk. Its still sometimes a bit hit and miss.

You can do it with some Photo/ pictue editing software. It works better if you have high contrasting colours such as in your pic where the greens and dark browns of the Clover lawn are miles away from the grey and white tones of the Valk. Its still sometimes a bit hit and miss.

Big F is right. You can play around w/ Photoshop, GIMP, or your editor of choice to pick out your Valkyrie. Here's my quick take (not as detailed):

[attachmentid=41482]

Great job, BTW. Out of curiosity, does the low viz have any colors, like wingtip or tail lights?

post-1887-1174891582_thumb.jpg

Edited by grapetang

Big F is right. You can play around w/ Photoshop, GIMP, or your editor of choice to pick out your Valkyrie. Here's my quick take (not as detailed):

[attachmentid=41482]

Great job, BTW. Out of curiosity, does the low viz have any colors, like wingtip or tail lights?

I didnt use the cut out and reinsert in my pic I just used the blur too arround the Valk. As I was being lazy.

AFAIK the L.V should have nav lights, like any plane really. Im sure the stealth planes like the 117 have them they can just turn em off.

Edited by big F

[attachmentid=41482]

Nice job. Wish I could do that myself! LOL

Yes the LV has lights and such. I haven't painted those in yet though.

Still working on matching up the gray splotches so they blend in a bit better.

lookin good, looking good. Skull-1, your painting skills are showing much improvement. Thats a real nice low viz 1/55.

Thanks bro. I dunno if it is my skill with paint or with the camera! LOL At least I am slowly learning the lighting techinques required to make things look on film as they appear in life.

I blended the canopy in a little...

That custom job looks great and so does the pic! Here's the mask if you wanted to play around some more:

[attachmentid=41501]

Big F: that's really impressive that you only used the blur tool! :blink: I did the quick cut & paste on the motion-blur w/ a subtle shadow below it.

Re: lights: thanks for the info, guys. I found more details looking up the Hasegawa color scheme on www.1999.co.jp. Great scheme!

Looking forward to seeing more! :)

post-1887-1174971482_thumb.jpg

From a yellowed, broken Jetfire.....

This will put it in perspective for ya...

IPB Image

September 2006

IPB Image

November 11, 2006

IPB Image

November 21, 2006

IPB Image

February 11, 2007

IPB Image

February 23, 2007

IPB Image

March 22, 2007

IPB Image

March 23, 2007

Edited by Skull-1

Awesome bro. Thanks!!!!! :)

HOW do you guys do that????????

You're welcome! I use Photoshop 6 (yes, I'm behind the times but I'm legit! :D ):

- use the magic wand tool to pick out most of the valkyrie (try changing the tolerance settings)

- use "Select -> Similar" to pick out more

- use the polygonal lasso tool to clean up the selection

Note - [shift] will add to your selection; [alt] will subtract from it.

You can use any of the other selection tools too, like the pen tool to trace out your outline.

Once I have my object satisfactorily selected, I save the selection so that I can always reload it if needed:

- "Select -> Save Selection" (Recall with "Select -> Load Selection").

I can then copy and paste the valkyrie, or I can invert the selection and delete everything around it. I'm no expert in Photoshop but this is how I did it. I'm sure there are better methods.

Anyway, great work you've got there! Cool retrospect too! :)