1/60? 1/55? Some Comparison Pics

Mog

After looking at the Isamu pilot that came with the YF-19 and thinking to myself "Is it just me, or does this pilot look a heckuva lot bigger than the MPC pilots?", I decided to take some comparison pictures.....Plus, Kyp's pics of his collection also gave me the itch to compare the 1/60 YF-19 to the 1/60 VF-1 in fighter mode. ;)

First up, a close-up pic of all three birds (the 1/60 Yamato VF-1A, the 1/60 Yamato YF-19, and the 1/55 Toynami MPC Alpha)

[attachmentid=39956]

Because there's a few things (and a bunch of pics) I want to discuss, I'll split this into two posts.

Now, I think we can all agree (in theory) that a 1/55 scale human/pilot should be slightly bigger than a 1/60 scale human/pilot. So, I took a couple of comparison shots of the pilots (I know the 1/60 VF-1's had some cut-off pilots, but I only have the DYRL Max, and that doesn't come with one.)

[attachmentid=39954][attachmentid=39955]

Even without his feet, it appears that Isamu is at least the same size (if not bigger) than Scott.

Next up, I decided to mix and match the pilots with the different planes. First up, the "1/55" scale Scott pilot:

Next to the VF-1 cockpit: [attachmentid=39957] In the YF-19: [attachmentid=39958]

Surprisingly, the Scott figure seems to fit in scale nicely with both Yamato birds. (A few things to note: I couldn't shove Scott into the VF-1 since it wasn't designed to fit a pilot. And I had to remove the 19's seat, since the peg on the Scott figure would've gotten in the way of the pilot sitting in the cockpit properly.)

More in my next post (plus, some opinions/conclusions).

post-3595-1169894278_thumb.jpg

post-3595-1169894806_thumb.jpg

post-3595-1169895290_thumb.jpg

post-3595-1169895313_thumb.jpg

Next up, some comparison pics of the pilots chillin' on a VF-1:

Empty: [attachmentid=39959] w/Scott: [attachmentid=39960] w/Isamu: [attachmentid=39961]

Remember, the Isamu figure doesn't have feet, so I'm guessing this 1/60 scale Isamu would be a very snug fit in the 1/60 VF-1.

So, what are my conclusions?

1. Perhaps, the Isamu pilot is slightly larger than 1/60 scale. We know that the 19 is supposed to be a 2-seater, and yet, I'm already wondering how much of Yang they're gonna have to chop up to get him to fit in the back. Now, am I complaining about Yamato making a larger-size pilot? HECK NO! I don't mind the slightly larger size (and greater detail) on the pilots, as long as it isn't ridiculously off scale.

2. We've all heard the arguments on whether the MPC Alpha is really 1/48, 1/55, or some scale in-between the two (credit Jenius for that one). But just judging the scale of the bird by the scale of the pilot, is it possible that the MPC Alphas are actually closer to 1/60 scale?

In any case, these are just some pet theories of mine after taking these pics. Feel free to argue, debate, and discuss.

And now, some fighter pics and one battroid/battloid comparison pic. Enjoy!

[attachmentid=39962][attachmentid=39963][attachmentid=39964][attachmentid=39965][attachmentid=39966]

P.S.--Sorry about the VF-1 heatshield, but I was too lazy to dig up the canopy or the filler-peg that goes in the fuselage. Also, I was too damn lazy to attach the hands back in battroid mode. :rolleyes:

post-3595-1169896469_thumb.jpg

post-3595-1169896493_thumb.jpg

post-3595-1169896517_thumb.jpg

post-3595-1169897058_thumb.jpg

post-3595-1169897075_thumb.jpg

post-3595-1169897114_thumb.jpg

post-3595-1169897148_thumb.jpg

post-3595-1169897175_thumb.jpg

What ya gotta understand is, the scale on the Alpha in fighter mode is just OFF. Way off. Here's the dimensions:

In "real life" an Alpha in fighter mode is 10.25Meters long (1,025CM)

In "real life" an Alpha in Battloid would stand 8.75Meters tall (875CM)

The Toynami Alpha in fighter mode is 24CM long. In fighter mode the Alpha is about 1/43 scale.

Standing in Battloid the Toynami Alpha is 17cm tall. In Battloid mode the Alpha is between 1/51 and 1/52 scale.

This isn't really fair though. You could say that the Alpha might be proportioned to be 1/52 scale also in fighter mode but since it's a toy it just can't collapse as much as it should (the dimensions of the toy would change a lot if you could slide the feet deep within the leg like the lineart suggests you should.

The pilots for the Robotech Alphas are 2.5CM sitting. Multiplying that by 60 would make them 5' tall sitting or somewhere between 6 and 7' tall standing (probably closer to 7'). At 1/48 scale these figures are a hair under 4' tall sitting which would put them in the 5-6' tall bracket which might be a bit short. I think the 1/52 scale becomes the answer again.

Sorry about the VF-1 heatshield, but I was too lazy to dig up the canopy or the filler-peg that goes in the fuselage. Also, I was too damn lazy to attach the hands back in battroid mode. :rolleyes:

All that hard work with the photos and the layout not to do the hands and heatshield. :p

I have wondered what Isamu will look like next to the 1/60 Roy from the VF-0S and the 1/60 VF-1S Strike?

Do not have a VF-1S Strike and the others are being moved.

All that hard work with the photos and the layout not to do the hands and heatshield. :p

I have wondered what Isamu will look like next to the 1/60 Roy from the VF-0S and the 1/60 VF-1S Strike?

Do not have a VF-1S Strike and the others are being moved.

:lol:

Unfortunately, the canopy is in the original box, which itself is in another box, which is probably under another box. :D At least with the canopy and heatshield off, you get to see an unobstructed view of the VF-1A's cockpit.

Don't have the VF-0, or I probably would've added it to the comparison mix too. I like the battroid look of the VF-0A, but the whole shoulder issue is preventing me from taking the plunge. Plus, I'm just not feeling the battroid mode of the Pope Mecha. (Wanna keep these newest releases paired up with their "rivals.")

Jenius, I can't really argue against the numbers data you provided. But just from a visual standpoint, it surprised me how well the "1/55" Scott figure fit in with the 1/60 Yamato planes. Maybe the Toynami Alphas are 1/52. Or maybe the Yamato 1/60's are actually larger than 1/60 scale. Or maybe the scale comparisons between the 1/60 VF-1's and the 1/60 YF-19 are slightly off and inconsistent. Oh well, who knows?

I too did some similar comparisons and I am convinced that the MPC Alpha's are actually VERY close to 1/60 scale. Much more so than most would think/believe.

Kinda cool to know that I inspired this thread. :p

Your pics make me want a Blue MPC Alpha sooo bad! :(

-Kyp

You must resist!

Do not buy any toycrapi products. At least until they say one way or another about the beta.

comparing pilots is not a good way to determine scale of the craft. With something as small as a human at 1/60 scale, the toy makers have some artistic license to make a better if off scale pilot that can be mass manufactured. The scale should be determined by the craft itself as compared to the published specs like jenius did.

vinnie

It's too bad I put away my VF-0S or else I'd measure Roy. Isn't Roy something like 8'5" tall in Macross or something? I seem to remember thinking he was a giant. Anyway, I definitely think that Yamato is exercising a bit of artistic license as Justvinnie pointed out with the pilot figures to get them to be a bit better looking. They probably saw how nice the reaction was when they first started including pilots with their fastpack 1/72 releases and so they've made them little display pieces ever since... which meant making them a bit bigger than they ought to be. Again, it's too bad I don't have 'em out for measuring :(

Don't have the VF-0, or I probably would've added it to the comparison mix too. I like the battroid look of the VF-0A, but the whole shoulder issue is preventing me from taking the plunge. Plus, I'm just not feeling the battroid mode of the Pope Mecha. (Wanna keep these newest releases paired up with their "rivals.")

All my valks are being moved and to be here monday so when they are dug out I will provide an Isamu vs VF-0 pilot.

Need to find a 1/60 VF-1S strike. :(

With the shoulders and 19 problems I am wondering what mine look like?! The 0A and 19 have never left fighter mode.

It is wise to wait until a second release or NB4M makes reinforced parts.

Yes, the pope's face seems a bit off from the anime but I like the fighter and gerwalk mode so if I have the funds I will jump on the preorder.

I definately felt that the 1/60 Isamu pilot is abit too big for the YF-19. I judge it with the 1/60 Roy from the VF-0S. I feel the Roy fits perfectly in the VF-0 and looks about right in size. But on the YF-19, Isamu kinda looks like a miclonised Zentran IE: Guld squeezed in the cockpit.

I think that's a poor choice of words F4V. The Alpha does not "sag" in the middle. The VF-0 sags in the middle. You pick it up and it feels like a wet noodle. The Alpha's nose sticks up because the locking mechanisms are designed improperly which causes the nosecone section of the toy to be pulled back into the toy. This is the same problem which will cause an Alpha to sit on its chest instead of the landing gears. Usually it's caused by the locking mechanisms that extend from the crotch into the recessed legs but the position of the slots for the arms to attach and for the nosecone section to attach also play into the problem. Also, the Alpha also plays tricks on the eye because the apex of the nosecone is above true dead center (this makes the slight elevation of the nose look even worse).

This clarification is just for those who don't own one and would think the toy is floppy... it's too small and heavy to feel floppy. A better description would be to call it sloppy.

When in doubt.... check my website :D Here's the arched back in action:

IPB Image

Edited by jenius

Jenius, Yes poor choice of words on my part. Thanks for the correction and photo.

The fighter can be displayed on an acrylic display stand to reduce the nose upturn.

Armo Soldier is a great mode.

Just be careful if you put the ride armor in the fighter. I could not open the compartment again on the Shadow.

post-3784-1170342892_thumb.jpg

You know what would make that display look really cool F4V? A Beta! Man, I seriously can't believe we're not any closer to getting those. Anyway, this thread inspired a pic I put up so I thought I'd share it here. It doesn't really relate too much but it shows the difference between a 1/55 and a 1/60 valk.

IPB Image

Edited by jenius

You know what would make that display look really cool F4V? A Beta!

That is so true. I have pestered Toynami and also added to the hate on Robo.... site. I have been eyeing the resin tread on hobbyfan but it it 1/72.

Cory, Alpha plus which scale 1/55, 1/60 or 1/48?

Edit: removed quoted photo.

Edited by Fly4victory

Can we get some more side-by-side shots of the VF-1 and the Alpha?

Okay, here's an old pic I took of the Toynami Alpha with the Bandai Reissue 1/55 VF-1S (surrounded by the rest of the Alphas in Battloid mode).

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&id=32898

Notice something "missing" in the middle of the pic? <_<:p